(Recipe Inspiration: Coconut Macaroon and traditional Filipino Favorite Flavors)
- A Filipino flavors inspired dessert. Fried coconut potato macaroons filled with flavored potato cream (UBE, PANDAN and MACAPUNO)
Preparation / Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Serving: 4-5 Serving
Fried Potato Coconut Macaroon
- 100 grams Desiccated Coconut
- 150 Grams Condensed Milk
- 1pc Egg
- 1/3 Cup U.S. Dehydrated Potato Flake
- 1 Cup Warm water
- 1 Tbsp Corn Starch
- In a clean mixing bowl hydrate the U.S. Potato Flakes with warm water and set aside until it becomes stiff in mash potato consistency.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine and mix the Desiccated Coconut, Condensed Milk, Egg and Corn Starch.
- Add in the instant mash potato and mix well. (Should be in a Clay Dough-like molding consistency)
- Portion mixture into 50-60 grams each and then mold into rectangular shape or Hash brown shape.
- Deep / Pan Fry for 1 minute or less at 350F (just enough frying time to make it Golden Brown. Set aside and drain.
Muscovado Coconut Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Mascuvado Sugar
- ¼ cup Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Condensed Milk
Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan, mix well and simmer for not more than 3 minutes, just enough to caramelize.
Mash Potato Cream
- 1/3 Cup U.S. Dehydrated Potato Flakes
- 3/4 Cup Warm Water
- 250 ml All Purpose Cream
- 1/3 Cup White Sugar
- 1 sachet Knox Gelatin Powder
- ¼ Cup Warm Water
- 1-2 Tsp UBE Food Flavoring
- 1-2 Tsp Pandan Food Flavoring
- 2-3 Tbsp Coconut Macapuno Strings
- In a clean mixing bowl, hydrate the U.S. Potato flakes with warm water and set aside.
- In a sauce pan put the ¼ cup warm water and add the gelatin powder. Mix well to bloom and add the all purpose cream. Simmer for a minute, which is just enough time to dissolve the gelatin powder, well incorporated with the cream, then add sugar. Turn off the simmering.
- Add the instant Mash Potato and mix well until smooth and with thick consistency.
- Divide mixture into 3 Portions and then incorporate the desired flavor you want. You can also adjust the amount of flavoring you will use based on the brand and your taste profile.
- Let each flavored potato cream cool down to rest or chilled.
- The consistency must be stiff, scoop able or pipe able. Place in separate piping bags.
Assembling the Sandwich:
Place a piece of fried Potato-coconut Macaroon in a clean plate, using a disposable piping bag. Pipe alternately the combinations of flavored Potato Cream filling, top it with another Potato-coconut Macaroon and then garnish or drizzle with Muscuvado-coconut sauce.